Express yourself with a versatile indoor garden flag featuring designs on two sides!
- OESD’s Blooming Expressions by Shannon Roberts #80295
- OESD’s StabilStick CutAway or StabilStick TearAway
- Isacord thread per design thread charts
- OESD Bobbin Thread
- ½ yd of 54” – 60” wide Navy Canvas
- Organ 80/12 Sharp Embroidery Needle
- Rotary Cutter and Ruler
- Fabric Marking Pen/Pencil (Recommend Heat Erase or Chalk)
- All Purpose Thread to match the Canvas or Duck Cloth
- 1 Standard Lawn Flag Holder
- OESD Press Cloth (optional)
- Loop and Tail Wand Tool (optional)
• Cut the navy canvas 11 ½” x 40” (If desired, prewash the canvas in hot water twice with no fabric softener. Dry on High Heat. Iron.)
• Fold the canvas in half lengthwise with wrong sides together. Press along the folded edge. Use heat erase pen or chalk to mark the following lines: 2” (Rod Pocket) from the fold and 1 ½” from the short raw edge (Bottom Fringe). Turn the canvas over and repeat the markings on the other side.
• Mark the vertical center of the fabric. Mark the horizontal center of the fabric. Repeat for opposite side.
• Set machine to a stitch length of 2.0. Open the canvas and baste a rectangle following the Bottom Fringe line markings on each end and a ½” seam allowance along the length (Side Fringe).
• Hoop Stabilstick CutAway paper side up. Score with Loop and Wand Tool. Remove paper to expose the tacky surface. Center design area on one end of the flag on the hooped stabilizer. Press with the palm of the hand to secure the canvas to the exposed tacky surface. Place the hoop on the machine.
• Select Design: #80295–02L. Make sure the design is stitched with the top of the design toward the centerfold. Embroider the design. Remove the hoop from the machine when the design is complete.
Tip: Designs may be enlarged or reduced as desired to better fit the canvas. Follow the machine manufacturer’s directions when enlarging or reducing designs.
• Repeat the previous 2 steps on the opposite end with the Second Design: #80295–08L
• Remove stabilizer from each end per manufacturer’s directions. Press embroidery side down using an OESD Press Cloth.
• Fold the canvas in half lengthwise with wrong sides together matching the Rod Pocket lines and the Fringe Lines along the remaining edges. Pin as needed. Select a stitch length of 2.0. Stitch a rectangle around the embroidered area using the Rod Pocket Line and fringe lines along the remaining sides as a guide. Reinforce the stitching by following the thread path two more times. Cut the threads.
• Use the Loop and Tail Wand to help remove vertical and horizontal threads up to the stay stitching. Recommend removing one thread at a time and trim as needed to keep the edges even.
Place on the flag holder. Enjoy!
This material is © OESD, LLC and may not be reproduced or published without permission.